Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Annual Visit

Yesterday was full of nerves - the annual visit to Hopkins for B and G's checkups at the genetics clinic.  The result of the 6 hours worth of doctor appointments - status quo.  And I am just fine with that.

G has always gotten a good report.  B, on the other hand, not so much.  It seems like every time we talk to someone in the medical field, Hubby needs this or that or something else.  We both feel this way.  This time, though, was different.  While he is getting a referral to see one of the other rock-star cardiologists at Hopkins for a consult/review, he got a good report.  No surgeries in the near future.  Meds stay the same and we even got to add the miracle drug that is currently in trials for Marfan patients.  (And yes, I AM that excited about adding a medication - this med is doing remarkable things for Marfan patients with the kind of aorta damage that Hubby has.)  

I woke up this morning feeling so much better.  We got through it - surgery #2 is over.  Yep, Hubby will tick forever but with a good report from the Hopkins docs, I feel like I can relax and move on from that whole surgery management (thats what I call my role in the procedures!).  


The next hurdle starts tomorrow night. Last week B went in for a sleep study. The results were not surprising,,,,to me at least - sleep apnea - positive.  Looks like a CPAP machine is joining the family.  Tomorrow B goes back to the sleep center for a machine test and then we bring one home.  I am sure the machine will be irritating to us both but getting a real night's sleep is so important that it will be worth it.  I wonder how he will feel after getting a restful nights sleep - bet he feels like a whole new person!!

1 comment:

Maya said...

YAY for no changes!!! That's awesome! I also hope B likes that med as much as I did. I wasn't on it long enough to see a change in my aortic size, as the atenolol kept me stable anyway, but it did make a huge difference in my breathing.

Good luck with the CPAP machine! It's pretty common for Marfs, unfortunately. Hope you both get used to it soon and that B starts having restful nights! :)